Saturday, July 29

tomato hearts

When I was a little kid my dad’s parents lived in an RV parked on our family’s property in a small farming town in Nevada. Grandma was sick. She had a “weak heart” as a result of having had scarlet fever when she was young. As an adult she developed diabetes and had to take insulin and check her blood sugar all the time. She was fashionable and delicate and proper-- not because of her upbringing, but in spite of it. Grandpa was a laborer and draftsman. He traveled all over the deserts of the Western U.S. working on civil engineering projects like freeways and bridges. He’d bought the RV so he and Grandma could be together while he was working. She was afraid to be alone, and he was afraid to leave her alone. When he retired they parked their RV in our yard between the back door and the lilac bush. A small irrigation channel passed under the lilac bush and along a hedge of mock orange, and some other flowering shrubs whose names I still don’t know, but whose scent I viscerally recognize. It was one of my favorite places to play because the sand under the bushes was smooth and cool, and because the intermittent irrigation flow kept it free of the goat head stickers that covered the rest of the yard.

After Grandma and Grandpa moved in I was only allowed to play under the bushes after Grandma had woken up in the late morning. She said “the children" were too noisy, and she needed her rest. I knew I wasn’t noisy, and decided she just didn’t like children. Grandpa was an early riser, though, and he would let me help him with whatever his morning’s project happened to be. He was a farmer at heart, and spent a lot of time and energy trying to cultivate a garden in our dry, fallow field. The soil was quite poor, but he was determined. He loved tomatoes, partly because he loved tomatoes, and partly because Grandma loved tomatoes. He put in a half-dozen vines, which he mindfully and diligently tended. I was little, and could fit between the gnarled vines, so he gave me the important job of finding and removing the tomato worms. It was a job I loved. The worms were huge, as big as my whole first finger, soft, fat, and green. Some had yellow dots and diagonal stripes along their backs, some were just plain green. All of them had a single large thorn-like projection on their butts to scare off birds. Grandpa was careful to teach me the difference between tomato worms and swallowtail larva. Swallowtails didn’t have stripes, except just behind the head, and they had big yellow and black spots that looked exactly like unblinking eyes. Most notably, though, they didn’t have thorns on their butts. Grandpa also explained that tomato worms didn’t become tomato butterflies, they became sphinx moths. I thought it was weird that tomatoes became sphinxes, but swallowtails stayed swallowtails. I liked the idea of tomato moths or sphinx worms better. Grandpa said that they were called tomato worms because they could strip a tomato vine clean of leaves overnight, but as a moth they more or less ignored tomato plants, and wouldn’t even visit the flowers. The ecology of that didn’t make much sense to me, but it helped me understand the gravity of my job. I plucked the fat, green worms off the vines and dropped them into a rusted coffee can, which was eventually turned over to Grandpa. I don’t know what he did with them, but I’m sure there were no survivors.

When I started kindergarten I lost my mornings with Grandpa. Sometimes he picked me up from school, but by the time we got home the morning was totally gone. It was time for lunch, then a nap, then the big kids came home from school and I was sent outside to play while my mom made dinner. I don’t know where Grandpa went in the afternoons. It was too hot to work, it was almost too hot to play. Eventually I started all day school and only saw Grandma and Grandpa on Sundays. Grandpa would sit with us in church, head nodding and bobbing as he tried to fight off sleep. Grandma was too weak to sit through church, so she stayed home. Sometimes they would both come over for Sunday dinner. My dad would pull the recliner into the kitchen so Grandma could be comfortable while we all ate together. Grandpa would meticulously fix her plate, leaving off any foods that might be too rich, or too salty, or too anything that could trouble her heart.

When I was in second grade my parents and my grandparents argued. Life had gotten very complicated, and there were a lot of angry words spoken, mostly by my dad. My mom cried a lot, my older brother was arrested and sent away, and everything changed for the rest of us. My grandma and grandpa loaded the RV and drove away. My mom said it was because Grandma wanted to spend some time with her other grandkids. My cousins lived in Kentucky. I had met them exactly twice, I didn't think they were that great.

Not long after my grandparents moved to Kentucky my grandmother died. Mom said her heart was broken. I knew Grandma had had a weak heart, so dying of a broken one made sense. Grandma and Grandpa had already purchased grave plots in a small Utah town, a place they’d lived once and liked. My dad’s brother lived in that town now, and I wondered if that was the real reason Grandma was going to be buried there. Dad said his parents had always liked his brother best. After Grandma’s body was prepared for burial Grandpa loaded the casket containing his fashionable, delicate, and proper wife into the back of his van to drive her back across the country to this place they had lived once and liked. I heard my mom say he had to get a special permit to transport a dead body over state lines. I wondered what it must have been like for him to fill out the paperwork. Was it creepy to drive with a dead body in the van? It took him three days to make the drive. He didn’t get a hotel. He slept in the van.

I wore my white dress with pink ticking to the funeral. It was my favorite dress because it had puffy sleeves and a cummerbund, which I pronounced “cumberbund” (and still do unless I think carefully about the word). My mom had sewn the dress for my eighth birthday and I hoped I’d never grow out of it. There were a lot of people at the funeral; I didn’t know most of them. An old man introduced himself as my great uncle. I wasn’t so sure. An older cousin asked me how much I missed Grandma and if I’d cried when she died. I felt embarrassed and ashamed, I hadn’t cried, and I didn’t really miss her.

Several years later Grandpa was killed in a car accident. He had fallen asleep behind the wheel and was killed instantly. I cried. I didn’t like that Grandpa was killed in an accident. He did everything so carefully, it seemed like a cheap shot. My parent’s were divorced then, so my dad’s sister called my mom to make sure we knew. Mom cried and said it was good that he went quickly. I wondered who would drive his body back to be buried by Grandma. I didn’t go to his funeral. I was in high school and claimed that I couldn’t miss class without risking exam scores. Really, I just didn’t want to see my dad. My dad and his brother argued at the funeral. My mom and dad argued afterwards. Everyone came home angry and hurt, I was glad I hadn’t gone. 

Just now I’m in an airplane flying from San Francisco to Boston. Hours ago the Pacific Ocean gave way to golden hills dotted with oak trees, which grew into snow-covered granite peaks, which sloped down again into hundreds of miles of fault-blocked desert mountains. The Great Plains yawned under spotty cloud cover, and miles of Lake Superior now lie below. Each transition caught in my throat like homesickness. Especially the transition from granite peaks to fault-block desert. There's such little water down there, but there's enough if we're smart. Grandpa said so, and I still believe him. The Humboldt River curves like a slow green snake through golden grass. Farms, towns, and freeways hug its banks and mirror its curves. I wonder if there’s a field down there, with a tomato patch, where a little girl is catching worms for her grandpa.