Tuesday, December 25

Merry Christmas!



I went to the tide pools yesterday.  A negative tide was projected in the mid afternoon, and the weather forecast indicated not only no rain, but a sky full of sun and very little wind.  It was too perfect an alignment to let pass!  Sandy kissed me on the forehead as I headed out the door with my camera and a baggy full of Emma's "emergency hippie food".  Matt had offered me the use of his car, sun-roof, heated seats and all.

Because of a series of storms during the past weeks, the beach was an entirely different place.  Whole sandbars had been removed from one place and carefully laid in another.  A few other tide-pool junkies were out and about, excited about the variety of creatures a storm and low tide will reveal.  A handful of surfers hugged the changing tide, black and shiny as seals.

The day was really lovely.  It was as if God was saying, "Merry Christmas, little daughter!  I made a day for you." and, patting my shoulder, "How do you like it, little one?"  Clapping my hands like the  child I am to Him, I say, "It's wonderful!  Just wonderful!  It's so shiny and clean, and the birds are so noisy and happy!  I've never seen the waves so green, or the rocks so black.  The sun is so white and gold at the same time, and the sky is such a sweet, creamy blue.  It's beautiful!"  "Well, then," He says, "Love this day and be glad."

So that's what I did.