Friday, April 5

Spring Break


It's Spring Break.  Good thing, too, people were starting to get weird.  Emma's spent half of the week puking (some nasty gut bug going around), and the other half of the week in the garden.  Today she decided to prepare a bed for some parsley and whatnot-- I don't know that this is the approach I would have taken, but it is nice to see her depressurizing.

We've had some really pretty days in the last few weeks, rain followed by bright sun.  The hills are green and fresh looking; the sky and clouds are sharper, more focused.  The light quality has improved.  It's thicker, richer, sweeter, as if butter and cream have somehow become involved; not like that thin winter stuff that "'tis like the distance on the look of death."  ...shudder...

***

I feel more connected with my world when I know the names of things.  For example, there is a little bird that starts each morning with a little "chit-chit" noise that, within a half-hour or so, moves into a trilling, twirling, darling little song.  I first met said little bird when I was living in Salt Lake City, where I was absolutely charmed by their unabashed cheerfulness.  Though I often listened to them with pleasure, I'd never seen the birds.  One afternoon, while walking on the University of Utah campus, I finally saw one singing it's little heart out in a tree outside the art building.  As I stood, listening and watching, a man walking by said, indicating the bird by pointing his thumb over his shoulder, "Cheerful buggers, aren't they?"  I asked him if he knew what it was called, "A house finch, I'd think."  Sure enough.  Google-ing "house finch" brought up a picture of the very same little red headed charmer.  After I'd learned the name that belonged to the little darlings, it was as if I knew them personally.  Their song would immediately conjure up a name and face in my mind, as if I were talking to a friend on the phone.

Well then.  With regard to becoming attached to things I can call by name:

I've been studying the names of weeds for a little while, working to remember common and Latin names, and the regions of origin for the non-natives.  Well, the result of this education is that I find myself becoming rather attached to some of the weedy friends to whom I've now been properly introduced.  In fact, sometimes I feel downright maternal to some of these plucky specimens.  We have a patch of dirt where I've let the pimpernels, chickweed, and wood sorrel go a little wild.  They're so stinking cute.  They look like a piece of cheap calico, the kind that could be sewn into a kitchen apron, but they're ready to go to seed, which means I have to pull them up, or suffer the consequences... though, those consequences don't seem as bad as they once did.  I mean, who doesn't want to grow their own calico?

While I'm at it, I have a horrible confession to make:  I've secretly been propagating the dandelions in the front yard.  It's gardening blasphemy, I know!  But I really do love those fuzzy golden heads!  Oh, what is a girl to do?!  If anyone were to find out I would certainly be blacklisted by the California Native Plant Society-- which mightn't be such a big deal, but they do go on some wonderful field trips, and I really would like to go sometime... sigh...