Sunday, September 21

Entropy

First, you ought to know that this isn’t going to be a tidy, pleasant, or cheerful post.  I mean, there are swear words and everything.  So if you were looking for nice, you should read something else today.  I recommend a food blog.  Or maybe you could just look at pictures of puppies and kitties.  They don’t usually have swear words.

I’ve mentioned before that my growing up years were kind of rough.  And they were.  I am descended from a long line of mental illness on both sides of my family tree, which means I had the good fortune of both a bungled up nurture and tangled up nature.  I’ve attempted to keep those two devourers in check using a myriad of treatments, the most effective of which has been hard-core aerobic activity (1-2 hours 4-5 days a week).   The “treatment” has been so effective that I actually began to allow the hopeful word “cure” enter my vocabulary.  Damn, I was even willing to let the word “hope” enter my vocabulary!  Two weeks ago I banged up my knee pretty badly while playing soccer with some friends, which means I haven’t had ANY aerobic activity for two weeks.  TWO WEEKS.  Do you know what happens to people who go off their meds cold-turkey?  Well, that’s pretty much what I’m living.  And it blows.

But wait.  There’s more.

Recently I have been attending church with a new congregation.  I felt spiritually prompted to make the change, and when I first met these guys I was so excited—I thought that maybe, just maybe, I had found a place to belong.  They were welcoming and inclusive, and I thought maybe I had found a little bit of Zion, you know?  I could see some places where I could contribute, some people who seemed like they could use a friend (Hell, I needed a friend!), some interactions where I could be a force for good.  (Like the Primary song, “Give, said the little stream, as it hurried down the hill.  I’m small I know, but wherever I go, the grass grows greener still.”)  So I jumped with both feet.  I was going to be brave!  And then I creamed it.  Hard.  I misjudged the distance, misunderstood the trajectory.  And in my foolishness I hurt people.  I didn’t mean to.  But I did.  Even so, as I have increased my acquaintance with these good people I see the evidences in them of their own bungled up nurtures and tangled up natures.  Half are working to “take up Arms against a Sea of troubles,/ And by opposing, end them…” and the other half are merely taking the hits, suffering, as it were, “the Slings and Arrows of outrageous Fortune,” becoming disenfranchised and apathetic.  “Stand up and fight!!” I want to cry out.  But here’s the rub:  I don’t actually care anymore.  I cannot make a difference.  I am too little.  My efforts too small.

We went to the beach a while back with a few other families.  The tide was coming in while we were there, and we either had to make a significant retreat, or all our stuff was going to get soaked.  We had shovels with us, so we decided we would attempt to redirect the water, and build a breaker.  We worked for over two hours, everyone working with buckets and shovels.  Twenty minutes before the turning of the tide it looked like we were going to make it!  And then one wave breached the wall.  There was another in close succession, and within about 5 minutes our hours of work were entirely removed, like we hadn’t even been there.  I thought I heard the ocean laughing at us.  Who do we think we are that we could hold back the tide? 

A young man I know has been working hard to overcome some addictive behaviors.  He said that sometimes he thinks he can keep the unwanted desires at bay, he’s carefully built berms, tide breakers, motes, everything he can yet think of, and sometimes he thinks he just might make it.  He might win!  He might be able to hold out until the tide turns.  And then there’s that wave.  That one that takes down the hours and hours of work.  Or days and days.  Or months and years and decades.  All gone in five minutes.

And so that’s what happened.  Two weeks without one knee and all the depression is right back in place, laughing at me for having thought I could hold back the tide.  A small handful of difficult and complex social interactions has me doubting entirely that I am of any good to anyone.  One stupid wave breached the wall, and all the new tender hope I had cultivated has been snatched away on the retreating tide, as if it had never been there at all.


I bought strawberries at the farmer’s market yesterday.  They’re already coated in fuzzy gray mold.  They look like a basket of dead mice.