Monday, November 16

Week 3

Hey everybody!

It's week 3 in Rhinelander (but who's counting?). The weather's pretty decent. It's cold, but not bone-chilling-life-threatening cold. There hasn't been any snow or rain, which is a little unusual, per the locals.

My companion and I live in a little apartment in Rhinelander. We've been asked to spend 50% of our time in Rhinelander, and the other 50% of our time in a little town called Antigo. That means we're living in our little apartment half the time, and living with a family in Antigo the other half of the time. It's an interesting setting to get used to! The family in Antigo, the Bloechls, are really great. The dad works as the science teacher at the local highschool (yea science!), and the mom is a Pampered Chef person (yea good kitchen tools!). There are two girls, Savannah and Marilyn. Savvy (her nick-name) is 8 or 9, Marilyn is 6 or 7. I think. They're really great little wildabeasts. Sister Bloechl is great, too! I like her a lot. She's a little on the sarcastic side, which suits me just fine!

We've met a few people who are interested in hearing about the Gospel. One is a guy whose step-mom was baptized a week ago. He came to the baptism, and that same week he told one of the members he wanted to be baptised because it felt so good to be at church. Amazing. We'll have our first lesson with him on Wed.

My picture of this area is starting to clear a bit. I'm beginning to understand what the practical parts of my "job" here really are. I mean, I know I'm supposed to bring others unto Christ, that part is clear. But the practical "How To" of that is starting to make sense.

We do a lot of work with the members. A lot. I feel like I'm at member's houses more than investigator's houses. And I'm beginning to understand why. People who investigate the Church because they know someone are much more likely to make the life changes they need to be followers of Christ. Why? Because they have a friend. There are two conversions that have to happen for people to stay in the Church. One is a spiritual conversion, the other is a social conversion. If either one is lacking, the investigator will fall away. Every time. I didn't get that at first. But it makes sense. When we make baptisimal covenants we covenent with God, but we also promise to mourn with those that mourn, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, to bear one another's burdens... We can't do that without other people. We are to be saved as individuals, AND as a society. None of us can build Zion all by ourselves. And, oh, how hard it is to depend on other people! But here we all are, depending on each other for our salvation. We cannot become truly God-like unless we are up to our elbows in service of our fellow beings. Sigh. That's so hard for a little introvert like me! An impatient little introvert.

Anyway, I hope you're all well and happy! I love you all! A lot. And I miss you, a lot. Everybody who reads this, give each other a hug for me, ok?

LOVE YOU!
Sister Rebecca