A lot of normal missionary things are going on. Elder Oaks will be at Stake Conference on Saturday and Sunday. And Saturday morning we're all going to Milwaukee for a conference he's giving, just for missionaries. I will get to shake the hand of an Apostle. I'm curious about that. Will it be any different than shaking hands with my Stake President, or the Patriarch? I know he holds special keys, and he's a special witness of Christ, but he is also just a man honoring his priesthood office and calling. Hmm... I wonder. I'll let you know.
I've learned some important things in the last week or so that have helped me feel a little more confident in my calling. I have wondered since I've been in Wisconsin if I'm doing the right thing, if I'm good enough, if I'm making a difference. You know, all those usual doubts we all have... at least I know I have...
I talked to Sister Nichols (former companion) on the phone yesterday. She said, "It just makes me happy to hear your voice! I know the Lord sends us angels when we need them, and you are one of mine." We were only together for 6 weeks! Oh how good it feels to be useful!
I talked to President Barrett on the phone as well... lemme give you some context to this phone conversation: While I was working in Appleton one of the Greenbay sisters got sick and went home, so the sister left alone came to work with Sister Nichols and I in Appleton, and we covered both areas. We thought it was going to be for a whole transfer (6 weeks), but it only ended up being for 1 week. We spent that whole week in Greenbay (the area I wasn't really assigned to, but the other sister was) and it was really hard for me, because I felt that we were really neglecting our area. It was supposed to be 3 days in one and then 3 days in the other. One Monday evening, after a really stupid P-day, we went to teach Sid and Sarah. Sarah had been baptized about 3 weeks earlier, so was still quite new to church things, and really, things of the Spirit. Her husband, Sid, has talked to the missionaries here and there, but still didn't feel sure about baptism. I don't know if he'd actually ever been invited to be baptized. During the lesson (which was, by the way, with President and Sister Barrett, don't remember why...) the Spirit said, "ask him to be baptized." and I said, "no way, he's Skinner's investigator (she's really attached to these folks, and I didn't want to steal this precious opportunity from her) I'll let her ask." So I bundled up a nice opportunity for her to ask him, passed it gently to her, and she dropped it on the floor. The Spirit said again, "I told you to ask him." Oh. Well then. Ok. So read a scripture in 2 Nephi 31 about how Christ, who was holy, had need of baptism to fulfill all righteousness, how much more need then have we? says Nephi. So I asked Sid. "Sid, how much need have you to be baptized?" He thought, and thought, and thought... "I guess a lot." and I said, "Yes, Sid. A lot. Christ needed to be baptized to return to his Father, so do you. Will you prepare to be baptized?" And he said, "yes." That was it. That was my whole part in the 60 minutes we were at their house. That was 2 months ago. Sid got baptized on Saturday. President, while I was on the phone with him (talking about things unrelated to the above event) said thanks for listening to the Spirit and inviting Sid. Here's an interesting thing: The Spirit told him that I was going to invite Sid to be baptized. So he was patiently and carefully watching to see how it would unfold. He saw me hand the invitation to the other sister, watched that fail, and then saw me pick it up and give it carefully to Sid. "Thanks," he said. Well then. Ok. Just a tool in the Hand.
Now the last part: The Bloechl family lives in Elcho. It's one of the small cities we covered when I was up in Rhinelander. We stayed at their house a few times a month when we worked in Antigo because it was too far to go home at night and drive back in the morning. So we'd sleep in the girls' room, and the girls would sleep on the sofa. Sister Bloechl called me this week, it was such a surprise to hear from her!, to say she wanted to thank me for helping her family so much. Crazy! I was just loving her family, I didn't know I was helping them, too! I was just being myself and that was what they needed. What a good gift.
So, long story short (too late), I have had a good gift. I get to know that I have made a difference in the lives of missionaries, members, and non-members in my mission. I have done something right because the Lord has been able to work through me. Thank God. I have been aching to know if I was making a difference. I'm so glad He let me know.
Well, kids, I sure love you! For real. The probability is quite high that if you're reading this you're someone I know and love. I think about all of you a lot. People at church, people at work, family, friends.... I really love you!