Friday, June 1
More Yosemite
I've been reading a lot of John Muir lately. (Got The Yo-se-mi-te on the brain quite a bit.) The most recent reading has been The Treasures of the Yosemite. This one has some wicked cool wood-block prints and engravings in it. One of the prints, Yosemite Valley From Point Lookout, by J. Fraser, looks a lot like one of the photographs I took while I was there. Mr. Fraser and I were looking across the same canyon during the same season admiring nearly the same view (his is a little deeper into the canyon than mine). The part I think is noteworthy is that we're actually viewing the same waterfall, but look at the difference! Can a fall have changed that much in 150 years? I mean, this is granite we're working with here. Though I did notice that some of the granite pieces lying all about the valley were pretty crumbly. I've been meaning to look up the geological make up of the place, but have been too busy looking at wildflowers and reading books written by dead guys.
Next week we're heading off on grand adventures toward the south. Heading to Zion National Park. I like that place. I'd like to hike the narrows, but we'll see how the thin mountain air and blooming sage works with my impaired little alveoli.