We've watched the fruit grow from green to orange to sunburned pink, waiting for the exact moment of ripeness. That's about when the passers by became more troublesome than the birds. Gabriel woke one morning (the tree is just outside his window) to a tiny Asian grandma filling a bag with our apricots. He was indignant. So he made a sign: DON'T PICK THE APRICOTS!!! I have to admit, I shared his sentiment. We'd worked hard to get these sunny little treasures. But then I remembered I'd been praying for them-- it wasn't really my work that had produced the gems, they were a Gift. It just wouldn't do to be stingy. Still, people were picking them in a rush, choosing the yet unripe fruit, taking a bite and throwing them on the ground. That definitely had to stop. So I modified Gabriel's sign by adding "please" in "nice friendly letters" and glitter. I added an addendum at the bottom, "If you'd really like some, please ask." Several people did, and were rewarded with ripe fruit instead of the green rocks nearest the sidewalk.
One young man stopped to ask for fruit saying, "It's Ramadan, and my mother has been fasting all day. We used to have trees just like this at home-- may I take some to my mother?" Of course he got a bag full. Can you imagine living in a far away country and happening upon the comfort food of your homeland? Especially after a day of fasting? He came twice, and his "cup" filled twice. An Indian mother came when the fruit was almost ready, but not quite. Her son, who spoke more English than she did, was tasked with the asking. I told him that most of them weren't ready, so there were only a few to be had, but if they came back in 2 or 3 days they could have more. The prescribed time passed, and she was on our porch, pointing and smiling at the tree. After filling her bag, she smiled and said, "Like at home." I wonder which was more like home, the fruit, or the sharing of the fruit? Maybe next year the sign should read in English, Spanish, Hindi, Chinese, Tagalog, and Farsi, "Please ask before you pick, we'd like to know our neighbors better!"