Emma lost ye olde cellular phone, an old trouper that did little more than make and receive phone calls. Matt, wise man as he is, seized the rare opportunity to update his technologically retarded, though darling, wife. Sandy has a new phone. It's fancy. I mean fancy. Every time it does something new (like tell me that the tide is rising at 0.4' and will reach a maximum of 5.6' before 9:35 pm this evening) Gabriel puts on his dubious face and cries, "Witchcraft!" We approach it with the awe and wonder due any magical artifact, and speak in hushed tones as we consider the possible implications. So far it has a talking dictionary, a bird guide, a guide to wildflowers of North America (yes, the birds and flowers were for me), and several complete yoga practices! The Magic Rock has a timer, a calendar, a camera, it can sing, and will teach me how to dance. It knows where we are even when we don't, and will tell us how bad traffic really is on I-880 between San Leandro and Oakland. I mean, really. Wow.
In other news: my friend gave me a gift certificate to the local nursery for my birthday. I bought a pink climbing mandavilla to attend a little trellis in the front yard. The gladiolus are going gangbusters (gopher hasn't gotten to those yet, thank his lucky stars), and the apricot tree is in the maternity ward ready to deliver. Still, it's not all sunshine, rainbows, butterflies, and ponies. The tomato plant is over 5 ft tall, but has nary a single pip on it, and I lost a whole section of chard to a miserable combination of beetle infestation and gopher decimation. I think I may have to station myself outside the little turd's hole with a shovel. A heavy one. Butterflies and rainbows, indeed.
NONSEQUITER:
| Emma gets rolled on the boogie board, Gabriel photo-bombs. Life is good. |