Monday, January 17

oops

I meant to send pictures from last week, but I didn't get to it... remember the computer adventures? Public library? No... well. That's what happened anyway. I was sick this week, my companion had walking pneumonia, and I just had the ick. So we didn't do anything this week but sleep... We made it to a few appointments, but it was pretty slow.

So here's the pictures from last week at Zone Conference:


Sister Arnold, Me, Sister Mazariegos, Sister R. Johnson


The Appleton Zone
Really, it's not a good picture of any of us... sheesh. Who took this picture? But you all can at least see why my mission president and his wife look like. President and Sister Jones are on the far left, but your deductive reasoning skills should have told you that.

Well... that's all the pictures. I thought I took more than that, but I guess not.

In other news, Hayley is getting baptized. For real and for true. She's gonna do it. This will be only the second time in my whole long mission that I get to be around for the "big day". That is, of course, assuming I don't get transferred the Wed before. It's a possibility, but a small one. I don't think I'm going anywhere... but I'm usually wrong about these kinds of things. So we'll see what happens. It would be weird to get a new companion and a new area just in time to go home. But it wouldn't be the first time it has happened to a missionary. I just hope I get to stay in our quiet little apartment a little longer. Que sera, sera. (there should be accents on some of those vowels, but I don't how to do that on this computer... so pretend they're there.)

Well. Kiss yourselves for me. See you in 8 weeks, or 2 months (exactly), or 61 days... however you all want to count it.

LOVE YOU!

Addendum:

...will you post this as well... at the end of the other post--



So I just sent this to President Jones, and I thought it should be added to this week's post.  Happy reading:

"Hello President!

We didn't make it down to Racine for Marka's baptism.  Dang.  We couldn't find a ride.  It's an inconvenient 2.5 hour drive, on a Saturday, with short notice.  Too bad.  But Marka didn't really need ME there, and the truth is that I will get on just fine not being there... though it is a disappointment not to get to hug her and tell her how happy I am for her.  That will have to wait for another day.

It's been a slow week.  Sister Arnold had a full measure of the crud going around, and I had a lesser portion of the crud.  Between the two of us we've nearly finished a gallon of orange juice, a whole bottle of Nyquil, and a 200 count box of tissue.  But I think we're both well enough now.  Thank goodness.

Hayley is still a go for baptism.  She invited her grandma who lives in Texas.  Grandma bought a plane ticket and should be here for the whole sha-bang.  Wow-- non-members all the way from Texas!  She's deciding this week who she wants to perform the ordinances, who will give talks, what we'll sing.  But more than that she's double checking the answers to her prayers... nothing like Satan's last-ditch efforts, eh?  She said in Young Women's on Sunday, "it's just like the sisters said, I have all these doubts and stuff that are just all over the place!  I mean I know it's true, but I'm kind of doubting."  We were asked to participate in the YW lesson yesterday, so we talked for just a minute about Satan's last-ditch efforts, before, after, or during times of illumination.  We talked about Joseph Smith and his experience with darkness and light.  I've since thought about Moses and his experience with darkness and light, the people clinging to the rod of iron in Lehi's dream, the people outside the prison overshadowed by darkness (with Lehi and Nephi the missionaries).  Over and over Satan tries to catch us up with his efforts to cloud, confuse, and negate.  The girls all nodded solemnly when we asked them if they'd experienced times like that.  "How do you get out?" we asked.  Prayer.  Real, sincere prayer.  And real, sincere scripture study.  The girls knew what to do.  I think, though, that they were all a little surprised that they weren't the only ones under attack.  That the non-member kid had been under attack, their leaders, their friends, the missionaries, Joseph Smith... Satan had taken his pot-shots at all of them.  I'll have to remember to make sure my kids know these stories (of Joseph and Moses and all the others) as well as they know those about Ammon and the sheep.

Well, I'd better let you off to read another email.

Have a good week!
Sister Wilcox"